• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Clear Them ALL Out

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That's right.
This one isn't even to the half (it's in "lightening delay"), I'm not even WATCHING it anymore, and the only reason I am back on site at all is to strongly, loudly proclaim the obvious:
IT IS TIME TO CLEAR OUT THE HEAD COACH, THE AD--and anyone else deemed "responsible" for the last dozen years of poor choices, inept hirings.
Personally, I am ready to try just about anyone or ANYTHING who might be able to hold the better part of the talent we can SEE is already here, go out and get the pieces we NEED, coach it all up and somehow create a "culture of positive excellence"--in the locker room AND on the field!
I doubt I can stomach another moment of Billy's oh-so-seeming-reasonable "analysis of failure"
He reminds me at this point of that hypnotist in "The Natural", the guy they have coming in after each loss, before the next inevitable one, to drone on about "Losing, is a disease...blah blah blah"
He's the CAUSE, not the cure!

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I like to suggest hiring Brian Johnson as head coach but he would be a first-time head coach. Then again, those who had experience as head coach hadn't worked out.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(No suggestion is beyond consideration at this point, by the way, IMHO. We have so little to LOSE!
Kiffen, Meyer, the faceless mass of "various up'n'comers" still out there...It is now OPEN SEASON in the hunt for a deserving Gator future "leader and SAVIOR".
Can someone come up with some relatively creative alternatives? And I purposefully DIDN'T include Jedd Fisch's name above...
Former-Gator or not (and hardly leader OR household hero in his retrospective heydey to START with), his Huskies failed to beat a seemingly outmanned Washington State in today's Apple Cup... We certainly OUGHT to balk at bringing back more of THAT kind of underachievement.
I make this point precisely BECAUSE HE is EXACTLY the type of bland, lately-on-the-rise, guy with past ties to UF that Strickland & Co. might find a safe (and affordable) choice.
But if there were EVER the need for a big splash, open-up-the-safebox hire to be made, now is the TIME.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I like to suggest hiring Brian Johnson as head coach but he would be a first-time head coach. Then again, those who had experience as head coach hadn't worked out.
Well, it's either BIGTIME/BREAK-THE-BANK or "Wildcard-outta-NOWHERE", I figure...
Go ahead and further make your case, if you like Lf.
(I MEAN it, bra': Lay it out...You are the first to put HIS name in nomination. I am intrigued by the idea. But is he READY? We have been recently burned repeatedly by that little tripfall. But of course you're right about "head-coaching experience" in and of itself not being any guarantee of success so far.
Again--we pull someone unexpected out of relative obscurity, OR we break-the-bank in trying to bring in someone whose prestige and history of bigtime success is inarguable and with few peers.)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
(No suggestion is beyond consideration at this point, by the way, IMHO. We have so little to LOSE!
Kiffen, Meyer, the faceless mass of "various up'n'comers" still out there...It is now OPEN SEASON in the hunt for a deserving Gator future "leader and SAVIOR".
Can someone come up with some relatively creative alternatives? And I purposefully DIDN'T include Jedd Fisch's name above...
Former-Gator or not (and hardly leader OR household hero in his retrospective heydey to START with), his Huskies failed to beat a seemingly outmanned Washington State in today's Apple Cup... We certainly OUGHT to balk at bringing back more of THAT kind of underachievement.
I make this point precisely BECAUSE HE is EXACTLY the type of bland, lately-on-the-rise, guy with past ties to UF that Strickland & Co. might find a safe (and affordable) choice.
But if there were EVER the need for a big splash, open-up-the-safebox hire to be made, now is the TIME.

No Meyer, I would rather get Kiffin than Meyer again. I rather have Spurrier over Meyer.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Also, just start Lagway already, rip the band-aid off.
TOTALLY AGREE--In fact, that he STILL didn't do that AFTER the half (if not EARLIER) was the final straw, the breaking point for me.
"NO MORE MR. NICEGUY!"
THAT'S what I wanted to SCREAM at Billy after the "lightening delay", to be honest.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
For me, though I have my admitted reservations, I figure Kiffen is the closest thing to a potential "Fit that might just yield the desired results".
And it wouldn't just be a matter of money: HE would demand a certain amount of independent control as well--but that would be a GOOD thing:
It is time to take power AWAY from AD Strickland, the UF Regents and the "backroom billionaire boosters" whom it is said truly run things behind the scenes these last more than dozen years.
However, I am waiting breathlessly for a viable "attractive alternative".

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
But we ONLY get maximum value in starting DJ now, behind a potentially (at best) inconsistent O-line, IF we do so with him running the NEXT Coach's offensive scheme and playbook!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
But to Billy, we're ALL just "some guy in his basement in Central Florida".
How did HE like being reduced to "Sun Belt Billy"?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Alright.
I'm getting over the first, white-hot rage I was feeling...It is the result NOT of one game, one season, one COACH--But of a DOZEN YEARS OF FRUSTRATION, DISAPPOINTMENT AND BETRAYAL.
Billy was, is and WILL BE getting that and more for the next while--however long it takes for the dysfunctional "Gator Braintrust/Power Cabal" to be moved via its usual glacial-paced reactions to eventually make some of the required changes.
THAT'S where the greatest portion of "angry blame" probably deserves to settle, but Billy is IN the spotlight, the traditional focus of fan anger (and that's REALLY what he gets paid for, in the final, wider analysis).
He probably deserves some sympathy, but there is little room for it here. I.mean, the irony is that Billy Napier is a good guy. A decent man.
That certainly hasn't been the case with all FOUR of these last failed hires. But here's the thing:
He was probably the nicest guy--and the worst actual game-coach of ALL of them!
I guess Leo Durocher ("Nice guys finish last!") had a point.
Which brings us to one last point.
MY no-restrictions-choice if I could have ANYONE to come in and assume the role of Head Coach of the Florida Gator football program.
Nick Saban, of course...though I'd settle for making him our AD, if that were the position he'd choose to actually take. He'd know who to get, and how to get them.
Ain't gonna HAPPEN. But we're way down and venting even as we search for answers.
In a way, admitting the above is a mark of our hopelessness and desperation.
Not exactly NEWS. But this is why I am honestly inviting y'all to bring your OWN suggestions to this discussion.
Again: It is either gonna be a big name/big ticket hire. or "someone out of relative left-field".
So have AT it!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, there turns out to be a spreading consensus on this now.
It has hit harder and faster as the evening wore on in the aftermath of the final gun. It will only further gather steam overnight and into tomorrow. It is in the program's own best interests (not to mention that of entities like "Florida Victorious" etc) to settle all this as quickly as possible from fhe purely financial standpoint, but it happens to be JUST as true from the fans' purely PRACTICAL, future-of-the-PROGRAM, product-on-the-field concerns.
The two are once again truly converging once more...
"HEY GUYS! YOU JUST AREN'T GONNA GET AWAY WITH TRYING TO PASS OFF THAT WEAK SHIT AS WORTH OUR TIME, ATTENTION OR MONEY ANY LONGER!!!"

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So as of early Sunday morning it is URBAN MEYER getting the major "fan buzz" so far.
When I saw the headline, "One name getting the most click bait for Florida job" I immediately thought "Lane Kiffen, but I was wrong...
It was "Urban Meyer"!
But I'M with Leakfan: Lane over Urban.
Gotta look FUTURE, NOT PAST.
Hours later, and that supposed "meeting", not properly announced nor officially scheduled and therefore having no actual impact on the Board's future decisions", apparently DID take place, the financial position of the program established (yes, we CAN afford the buy out), and potential replacement candidates even discussed--but of course "no decision was made" (not that it would have been binding in any way had it BEEN)--The whole endeavor therefore somewhat emblematic of this AD and Board of Regents' overall futility throughout the last dozen years of failure, misfires and empty promises.
They ALL gotta go.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Aaaaannnnd BACK to the same old BLAH BLAH BLAH...
Sick as y'all are prob getting of ME, THAT'S how sick WE ALL ARE of "The Strickland Gang"s continued pussyfooting.
Yeah, THIS is how a big time program handles its huge mess:
Leave its Head Coach AND (soon to start shrinking) loyal legion of fans TWISTING IN THE WIND! Make DAMN sure that we are seen far and wide as a clueless, disorganized bunch of beggars at a job no one really good wants in the first place.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamesmyday