• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Losing Hope

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have ALREADY lost it for THIS season.
And I have personally pretty well finally lost it for a Billy Napier-Coached version of these Gators, so the question becomes, what (never mind HOW or WHEN) would bring renewed "HOPE" to us in any reasonable amount of TIME now from here?
Is there a particular "WHO?" that might bring a hint of its return?
For example, is Kerwin Bell almost "ready"?
There are those who envision him doing a kind of "repeat performance" of SS's legendary "old Gator QB riding to the rescue just in time to seize the reins, hold onto , even ADD to the talent-level just in time to reshuffle the deck and deal us a WINNER"! I never took that one particularly seriously, but I too am getting pretty damn DESPERATE now myself. I'd probably go for someone a little more (A LOT MORE) empirically PROVEN by real circumstances, but I am pretty sure Nick Saban has given up, turned his back on Coaching in the "Minor Professional Developmental League" that CFB is converting itself into, and offhand I don't really SEE anyone similarly certain to be likely able to pull it off now.
That leaves just waiting however long years in darkness it takes before we happen to throw enough money at the right talented mercenary of the future who actually ends up striking gold at some point in that same distant "future",
I probably won't be here to see it, but as long as there's a University of Florida there will be a whole bunch of Gators who indeed never DID really "Back Down"--and eventually THEY will be rewarded. DOESN'T do much for MY sense of hope or satisfaction on THIS Gator's sad night at the end of summer, 2024--but there is SOME small sliver of shrinking, leftover "hope" in those (admittedly dwindling, minimal) remains of what was once so much fun and rollicking enthusiasm.
I wish them well.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I wouldn't have thought (or for that matter, APPROVED) of this sudden a tursmall thingn to dark hopelessness and rejection after the one loss--but it ISN'T so much that "loss" alone as its list of "unacceptable circumstances" that damn Billy & Co. to their by this morning now accumulating wave of widespread REJECTION by so many of their once steadfast legion of believers.
In MY view, those obnoxiously predictable Canes giving Gator fans the Chomp in our own home endzone after their offense's second TD in that crushing 3rd quarter, in very real terms sealing our FATE--and CERTAINLY, it would seem from here, that of the whole current coaching staff.
No specific word as of yet, obviously-- and it wouldn't, SHOULDN'T BE SOME KNEEJERK, next morning quick axe in any event... but I would HOPE that discussions and arrangements are already being made.
No matter what, the more I think about it in the hours since, the more sure I am that blame and any longterm "major shake up" has been in expanding consideration for eventual "restructuring of the whole hierarchy" for some time now--the main idea being a question of how deep and FAR such change should go to begin with: The so-called "Athletic Department's ongoing BRAINTRUST" hS by now overseen a long PROCESSION of failures at the positions responsible for giving us the people who have overseen the long parade of ineptitude in our football program. A CLEAN SWEEP is in order, don't y'all agree??! This isn't a matter of being "vindictive", only THOROUGH.
CERTAIN "Big Names" come to mind, but really, it isn't a matter of "names" as much as stature--as in the actual knowledge, reputation and authority of them as "armed and thoughtfully EXPERIENCED senior executives IN CHARGE"! THAT was "something Brand New", and for which we were now being asked to go formally "ALL IN" for TOO. No small thing this time. NOT at ALL.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
It is not just about one game--it is about a direct comparison to another third-year coach with similar roster talent. The rosters were nearly equivalent in talent, but were coached very differently. There are ZERO signs that Billy Napier knows how to coach at the SEC level. He would be a fine coach in the Sun Belt or FCS, but he is in over his head here. Now the tough part. There are ZERO signs that Napier will magically improve his coaching this year, and he showed the world that he is the worst coach in the SEC even though he has the 5th-most talented roster in the conference, 12th-best in the nation. The University of Florida does not have a president, so there is little chance of firing Scott Stricklin, hence little chance that Stricklin fires Billy Napier--not with a $26 million buyout to pay. Prepare yourselves, We are going to sit through the most miserable season of Gator football since 1979. We have the hardest schedule, probably in the history of NCAA football. We have a coach that everyone knows is going to be fired in December 2025 after UF hires a new president--there is no escape from that inevitability. What little momentum we had in recruiting is gone unless the Gators pull off a few upsets. Oh, what a mess we are in, and it is not because the Gators lost one game. The loss highlighted to us what we have been lied to about improvements, and that Napier's Sun Belt Conference coaching approach does not scale well to the SEC. It was admirable. Ever since Napier got here I have thoroughly rooted for him and the nice young men that he is mentoring and inspiring, but as it turns out, nice men do not win football games. Nice guys finish last. If the Florida administration is fine with focusing on academics and championships in the other 18 sports, then so be it. They will need to figure out how to pay for the other 18 varsity sports as the football fan base cuts off funding to NIL. How many fans are fine with a 2-10 football team and a championship in other sports? Stricklin needs to fire Napier this December and beg the boosters to pay that $26 million dollar buyout if he expects to not get fired next December. Hang on. This is going to be a rough ride.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...and meanwhile, in further discussion of "bad omens", it seems Ricki Pearsall was shot in an apparent "robbery attempt" yesterday in San Fransisco" in advance of his starting as new receiver in the 49er passing game as it gets going today in the "Bay Area"...Formerly our own Graham Mertz main target in The Swamp, Mertz himself was concussed in the 2nd half of yesterday's game in Gainesvillm

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I wouldn't have thought (or for that matter, APPROVED) of this sudden a turnaround to dark hopelessness and rejection after the one loss--but it ISN'T so much that "loss" alone as its list of "unacceptable circumstances" that damn Billy & Co. to their by this morning now accumulating wave of widespread REJECTION by so many of their once steadfast legion of believers.
In MY view, those obnoxiously predictable Canes giving Gator fans the Chomp in our own home endzone after their offense's second TD in that crushing 3rd quarter, in very real terms sealed our FATE--and CERTAINLY, it would seem from here, that of the whole current coaching staff.
No specific word as of yet, obviously--and it wouldn't, SHOULDN'T BE SOME KNEEJERK, next morning quick-axe in ANY event-- but I would HOPE that discussions and arrangements are already now being made.
No matter what, the more I think about it in the hours since, the more sure I am that blame and any longterm "major shake up" has been in expanding consideration for eventual "restructuring of the whole hierarchy" for some time now--the main idea being a question of how deep and FAR such change should go to begin with: The so-called "Athletic Department's ongoing BRAINTRUST" has by now overseen a long PROCESSION of failures at the positions responsible for giving us the people who have overseen the long parade of ineptitude in our football program.
A CLEAN SWEEP is in order, don't y'all agree??! This isn't a matter of being "vindictive", only THOROUGH:
CERTAIN "Big Names" come to mind, but really, it isn't a matter of "names" as much as stature--as in the actual knowledge, reputation and authority of them as "thoughtfully EXPERIENCED senior executives IN CHARGE"! THAT was "something Brand New", and for which we were at that point being asked to go formally "ALL IN" for, TOO. No small thing this time. NOT at ALL.
My points here being:
(1) The long string of what have turned out to be failed "fundamental changes in our 'football culture and regime", and
(2) Our once MORE facing a choice between ANOTHER such "change", OR "HEY!! How bout we change WHO IS
MAKING THOSE 'Decisions For Change'?"
YES: I am suggesting that perhaps it is finally time to "CHANGE THE CHANGERS"!!!
THERE have been SO MANY fundamental, underlying changes in every structural component of modern CFB, would it truly come as a real surprise to face and find that we haven't properly, smoothly or efficiently in any practical way FULLY ADDAPTED to those changes?
My fellow Gators, IT IS TIME.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It is not just about one game--it is about a direct comparison to another third-year coach with similar roster talent. The rosters were nearly equivalent in talent, but were coached very differently. There are ZERO signs that Billy Napier knows how to coach at the SEC level. He would be a fine coach in the Sun Belt or FCS, but he is in over his head here. Now the tough part. There are ZERO signs that Napier will magically improve his coaching this year, and he showed the world that he is the worst coach in the SEC even though he has the 5th-most talented roster in the conference, 12th-best in the nation. The University of Florida does not have a president, so there is little chance of firing Scott Stricklin, hence little chance that Stricklin fires Billy Napier--not with a $26 million buyout to pay. Prepare yourselves, We are going to sit through the most miserable season of Gator football since 1979. We have the hardest schedule, probably in the history of NCAA football. We have a coach that everyone knows is going to be fired in December 2025 after UF hires a new president--there is no escape from that inevitability. What little momentum we had in recruiting is gone unless the Gators pull off a few upsets. Oh, what a mess we are in, and it is not because the Gators lost one game. The loss highlighted to us what we have been lied to about improvements, and that Napier's Sun Belt Conference coaching approach does not scale well to the SEC. It was admirable. Ever since Napier got here I have thoroughly rooted for him and the nice young men that he is mentoring and inspiring, but as it turns out, nice men do not win football games. Nice guys finish last. If the Florida administration is fine with focusing on academics and championships in the other 18 sports, then so be it. They will need to figure out how to pay for the other 18 varsity sports as the football fan base cuts off funding to NIL. How many fans are fine with a 2-10 football team and a championship in other sports? Stricklin needs to fire Napier this December and beg the boosters to pay that $26 million dollar buyout if he expects to not get fired next December. Hang on. This is going to be a rough ride.
Exactly.
And to which I can only nod quietly here and say aloud, "Sad but true."
"A rough ride" indeed.
(AND yes, by my own argument above, I believe Stickland's time has come as well--Provided we are prepared for a time of chaos AND/OR have some brilliant plan, complete with money and "saviors" ready to come riding to the rescue....
So yeah: "Rough ride indeed...")

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
By the way, for another, perhaps more "starkly realistic", alternative "behind-the-scenes" perspective of where we are TRULY at with Napier, his buyout and how things are realistically more likely to play out as far as when and how he is likely to REALLY end up being "let go"" check out the latest at "Mathews in the Morning" site this (Monday) morning before dawn...
He and his "deep insider" guest lay out a number of inescapeably realistic and informed PRACTICAL reasons why that "buyout" ("The largest in CFB History") will NOT happen (at THIS point, anyway)... and how things will INSTEAD be handled, at least for NOW.
Like myself, you may NOT LIKE IT, BUT:
Once you hear the facts, like me I think you will have to "accept its probable practical reality"--unless certain OTHER conditions are meanwhile somehow met, it just won't, just WILL NOT HAPPEN YET. IF and when it DOES, it will "happen in very quick and shocking fashion", as underlying conditions shift and Billy is offered wealth AND a whole other path in his life.
The only benefit for US in any of that though remains solely in whatever happens NEXT...
After so many "miss's" over the preceding years, this and the rest of those preceding hires that just haven't panned out, I think it is time the whole cabal responsible needs gutting, don't y'all?

Last edited:

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The only variable that plays into our favor as a football program is the start of revenue sharing next year across college sports. Florida is in the top 15 in revenue without revenue sharing, so there is some leverage to make a difference if UF administration makes major changes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamesmyday