• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Lagway Time

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
First let me say that I LIKE Graham Mertz.
I was all FOR his being QB-1 this season as DJ was carefully brought along, preparing for HIS eventual full assumption of the leading role.
But things happen. Graham concussed in that disappointing LET down to open the season against Miami. DJ FORCED to take over in his 2nd game as a true freshman--AND HE DAZZLES!
Record-setting performance, but even so, despite startlingly consistent excellence, I still assumed Mertz's return against TAMU as QB-1.
But I am watching the replay now, and what has been steadily sinking in throughout this review is how much DJ's inarguably SUPERIOR SKILLS elevated the effective play of the whole offense.
Now, I do NOT normally like or support the idea that a well-liked leader who has long since WON his starting job can then LOSE it due to injury, just because he is forced to sit out a game and his backup comes in and lights things up for a game.
But this is a peculiar situation, and I admit to being torn: What IS "The right thing to do"???
I am very tempted to agree with what many
are already saying: "Billy--Ya gotta start the kid!"
No matter rhat, for HIS part and for a whole lot of reasons BILLY has to be careful...I think at the very least he has to find a way to bring a whole lot MORE DJ Lagway to his gameplan a whole lot faster on offense, starting next week.
Graham is steady, but DJ ELEVATES THE WHOLE OFFENSE--both as individuals and as a unit.
This will be as much (maybe MORE) a test of Napier's talent and flexibility as a COACH as Lagway's potential and readiness at QB.
Tricky--but handled well and ALL can benefit...
But handled poorly and it can end up a disaster.
Unlike some erstwhile Gator pundits, I don't presume to know enough or have adequate knowledge, skill or experience to judge or dictate the subtleties of navigating such a minefield of choices fraught with potential danger.
So noting the choices and hinting at some "carefully diplomatic way" through them in the coming weeks (especially this first one AFTER this past Saturday's revelations) is about as far as I dare GO...
From here it's up to our Coach.
This goes BEYOND "hotseat"; this is pure, personal "sink or swim".
For EVERYONE.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
It's Billy @$$ on the line. For him, it should be which QB can save his Gator career. Granted it's not the only thing but it's a big thing.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It's Billy @$$ on the line. For him, it should be which QB can save his Gator career. Granted it's not the only thing but it's a big thing.
As FANS, for US it is BOTH: He MUST consider his career--AND (somehow) do what is best for the team now AND for the team and program's FUTURE.
But WTF satisfies all THAT?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Lagway is the best option, which is why Mertz will get the start. This is Gator football under Billy Napier.
Well--I don't wanna see DJ thrown to the wolves either...
But you have a point.
I suspect Mertz will start--that would be Napier's "raised-by-a-Coach"/ "that's-who-won-the-job-in-camp" natural inclination--and never MIND anything else.
My HOPE then is that anything but Graham coming in and basically lighting things up himself, or at least leading the offense to a couple of efficient drives to take control early, will mean a "short leash"...Even then, we'll need to see those supposed "series packages for DJ" early and often regardless.
I'll go this far:
If we were to see "back to bland", slow-death offense on the way to ANY kind of loss, even a close one, and you can put me in the "start gathering funds for the big buy-out/big hire" camp.
It is time to find the FUN, take some chances and "LIGHT THE FIRE IN THE SWAMP" once more somehow!
I THINK that's what Saban means by "change the culture"--That's how we do it at University of Florida, anyway. And it LOOKS like we now have the young QB to DO that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamesmyday