• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

OGT 2024 Week 2: Florida Gators vs Samford Bulldogs 9/7/24

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The 0-1 Florida Gators face off against the 0-1 Samford Bulldogs on Saturday, September 7, 2024 in the Swamp. The Gators are 4-0 all-time against the Bulldogs including the last match-up when they escaped 70-52 in 2021. That game was the highest scoring game in the history of the Swamp. Billy Napier has allowed just about every Gator record to fall, so all we have to cheer for now is the 449-game scoring streak dating back to 1988--53 games longer than any other team in history.The Gators are 359-116-13 (74.9%) all-time at The Swamp, 178-37 (82.8%) since 1990.
Florida Gators vs Samford Bulldogs 872074e3-14e6-4805-8ba3-2daa37a36642.png

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, I was determined not to say anything until we at least scored, hopefully first.
That took longer than it should have (and another disappointing missed opportunity on their FIRST possession), so we will have to see...I mean, Samford HAS (and continues to) move the ball.
I WON'T likely have a lot to say in the course of a game we OUGHT to win going away with EASE.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Quarter One in the books.
I have seen little that tells me that last week was the anomaly. I like what we are seeing of DJ--but we must consider the level of competition.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
A nice drive--all for nought.
We can't even properly support our freshman QB. who has looked fine.
And our D still looks like last year's model.
Folks, I am going to shut up:
It seems obvious that though we will still WIN this game, it will be just one of a VERY few such victories.
This is STILL somehow a disjointed, uncertain football team. The talent is beginning to accrue, but Saban is right: There is SOMETHING wrong with the CULTURE.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The talent, size and speed differential SHOULD have us WAY ahead by now.
Oh no! DJ takes a helmet-to-helmet shot--snd he's out on his feet.
This could be a major disaster.
Half almost over, Bout to punt it.
If Lagway concussed, well, I don't even wanna talk about it.
Should have been a "Targeting" call--I don't care WHAT they say.
I have nothing more to say.
14-0 in game they should already have put away
--and endangering their hope for the future.
I am not liking what I'M seeing even in THIS supposed "easy one".
No. Sorry. This is more and more becoming ADDITIONAL evidence that Billy just ain't the guy.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
No one else saying anything. I guess that's fitting
--what more is there to say? We should be up at least double that amount...and the reason we are NOT has a lot yo do with what we had to face and conclude LAST week:
Our Coach has been slowly gathering talent, but he doesn't appear to know what to DO with it, not at THIS level. He's more a "Samford-level" Coach, I'm thinking.
I'd still like to hear y'all's ideas as to whom, in your "heart of hearts", y'all's choice would be for OUR "ideal next Coach" if we could
have "ANYONE AT ALL".
I don't know if I'll be back tonight--depends on how things go from here. (As we FINALLY give the ba to Tre Wilson for the first time today) I EXPECT us to pull away from here--probably slower than I'd like, but it'll end up LOOKING like a solid win.
Big throw, freshman to freshman for the 36 -yd TD pass. 21-0. DJ getting better and better as we watch here.
This offense has weapons, might even be able to compete against the powerhouse teams still to come--IF Billy is actually able to let th r m DO so.
Our Coach's play-calling may be our biggest current impediment.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Never thought I'd say this, but as evidenced by the fact that he has logged the highest passing yards of any freshman QB in Gator history, DJ Lagway is the best young QB I have seen in a Gator uniform since TT.
Meanwhile, Billy somehow screws up the whole deal and has to call a time out as they come out of the break.
And now come a procession of stupid penalties--taking them from 1st and goal backwards to 4th and long and a field goal attempt.
Another flag. Terrible series. Choppy, undisciplined--POOR COACHING!
We have been watching this kind of crap for YEARS. Napier hasn't gotten that fixed.
A&M comes in next week; think we'll get this kind of result with a similar performance?
A lot of work to be done. Again.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
You gotta be BAD sloppy against lowly competition to find 31-7 "a frustrating disappointment", but that's where we are at!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
THAT is why NOT using Tre Wilson much has been silly tonight:
85 yard pass/run from scrimmage for touchdown.
Lagway over 420 yards in his first start.
Yeah, think we need to KEEP him.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Now just gotta stay healthy in time left.
Let THEM run out the clock, if you can.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Our "back bench reserves" are maybe still a cut above a by-now disheartened Samford squad.
Just run the ball these last 2 minutes--if we score, we score, but don't intentionally rub it in. It ain't like we don't know what it's like to be overrated! These kids came to our house, played hard.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
This might be the last game where I was to post the stat box. DJ Lagway had a passer rating of 264.82 and a QBR of 93.5.

SAMFLA
Score745
1st Downs1521
3rd down efficiency6-155-11
4th down efficiency0-01-3
Total Yards205632
Passing144466
Comp-Att22-3319-28
Yards per pass4.416.6
Interceptions thrown00
Rushing61166
Rushing Attempts3534
Yards per rush1.74.9
Penalties3-307-77
Turnovers11
Fumbles lost11
Interceptions thrown00
Possession33:3026:30

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Typed last night--but neglected to SEND:
Ivy League QB transfer runs it in.
Imagine: But for a couple of plays it's now 52-0 or BETTER.
A lot of mistakes and sloppy play (and play CALLING), but it'll be "analyzed" wrongly, I suspect...
Now, if we somehow manage to put a PROPER game and win together NEXT week, THEN maybe I won't shudder at a changing view of UF's (or Billy NAPIER'S) progress after all..
BUT for now: Decent score--but NOT as "encouraging" as it might sound or seem from "out there".

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamesmyday