• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Out of the BLUE!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Gentlemen, we have been through this enough times to know that as long as Florida is cycling through coaches every 3-4 years that we are going to hear every rumor imaginable. In 2022 it was James Franklin, Lane Kiffin, or Kalen DeBoer but we got Billy Napier (ref: https://www.gatorenvy.com/threads/re-evaluating-the-coaching-search-2022.21398/). In 2018 it was Chip Kelly and Scott Frost but we got Dan Mullen (ref: https://www.gatorenvy.com/threads/2018-coaching-search-retrospective.21272/#post-92184). In 2014 it was Mark Hudspeth (Billy Napier's predecessor who was fired for NCAA violations) and Chip Kelly (ref: https://www.gatorenvy.com/threads/a-look-back-at-the-2014-coaching-search.19668/). Amongst all those coaching searches there was always a mention of Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier, Bill Belichik, et cetera.

I am actually fascinated by the idea of bringing in Jon Gruden as a general manager of football operations.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Gentlemen, we have been through this enough times to know that as long as Florida is cycling through coaches every 3-4 years that we are going to hear every rumor imaginable. In 2022 it was James Franklin, Lane Kiffin, or Kalen DeBoer but we got Billy Napier (ref: https://www.gatorenvy.com/threads/re-evaluating-the-coaching-search-2022.21398/). In 2018 it was Chip Kelly and Scott Frost but we got Dan Mullen (ref: https://www.gatorenvy.com/threads/2018-coaching-search-retrospective.21272/#post-92184). In 2014 it was Mark Hudspeth (Billy Napier's predecessor who was fired for NCAA violations) and Chip Kelly (ref: https://www.gatorenvy.com/threads/a-look-back-at-the-2014-coaching-search.19668/). Amongst all those coaching searches there was always a mention of Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier, Bill Belichik, et cetera.

I am actually fascinated by the idea of bringing in Jon Gruden as a general manager of football operations.

Not against it but with the state legislature removing DEI programs which is bad enough trying to recruit students-athletes especially for football, does the Gators want to hire a guy who said some racist stuff among other things?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm WAY past the point of voicing preference for ANY of these rorschach-test suggestions that rise from the "cultural zeitgeist" like subconsciously psychopathological clockwork every few years of continued program deterioration.
"Just WINNING" isn't enough--though at this point it would have likely bought Billy a bit more time and PATIENCE.
I have nothing in the way of real insight or prophecy. I can't even begin to GUESS what this "Gator Braintrust" is considering doing short-to-MID-term...I can well understand their "standing pat" as the current group fails spectacularly amidst the wider chaos and dust of change that hasn't fully settled yet. Why should THEY be any different than anyone or ANYTHING ELSE here in today's college football??!
If y'all are as sick of it all as I am, all you can DO is watch about as much of each game as you can stomach, add what you see and learn to the ongoing scale of analysis, and slowly edge your way towards some kind of ongoing "judgement" as to whether you will continue to "HOPE".
HOPE is the sole currency that matters in a team and program's ongoing appeal. Once it is mishandled, betrayed to the point that it is set aside, the school in question will be mired in HELL trying to reclaim, slowly rebuild its once unquestioned strength.
They haven't QUITE blown it THAT badly yet at UF--but they are "in the neighborhood".
Things are getting that bad, I believe, so a lot of the normal rules go out the window.
I don't know which or WHAT kind of changes they need to make, BUT:
CHANGE MUST COME.
Fundamental change.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Not against it but with the state legislature removing DEI programs which is bad enough trying to recruit students-athletes especially for football, does the Gators want to hire a guy who said some racist stuff among other things?
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but just about any younger Baby Boomer, any Gen X or older Millennial coach says these kind of things in a football environment or an office environment and they are not racists. They are products of their environment and it takes at least a generation to fully change culture. The only difference between Gruden and others is that his comments were shared in public. Name for me one "nice" and "DEI friendly" coach who has won at a high level and I will show you oceanfront property in Arizona. Florida has been fortunate that coaches like Urban Meyer did not coach here while the Internet was at its peak like it is now. You can find reports on Nick Saban saying these kind of things in the locker room, and now that he is in the public eye as a media member in the peak of the Internet age he has to change his tone. Lucky for Saban, he has Jon Gruden as an example of what not to do.

That being said, I would venture to guess that at least half of the Gator Nation would take Satan himself as a head coach if it meant winning 10 games a season and a shot at the national championship once every generation. All this talk about Gruden being untouchable as a racist, well that is utter nonsense bought into by the masses who have already learned to change our culture because we have to in order to keep our jobs at the factory, the office, or wherever. We tolerate celebrities and public figures saying racist things because we are willing to overlook those things when they are entertaining us, winning games, or giving us things we want.

Back to football (before I have to move this thread): Jon Gruden is going to return to college football soon and the Florida administration should at least interview him before getting stuck with leftover G5 coaches and washed up power conference coaches.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I know there's no oceanfront property in Arizona, my dad lives there and I've been there a few times. It's dry and one time I went during a summer. Anyway, I don't see Gruden getting hired as a coach (besides what I listed) because he had a tendency to start older quarterbacks plus he was behind the downfall of the Bucs (him and Bruce Allen). I don't know if he would be patient with a young QB. Him as a GM, maybe. I did see he was an advisor with the Saints and if they hired him, others might. I'm sure you're right about other coaches saying similar things however Gruden got caught.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamesmyday